The request was made after Tien Phong newspaper cited an expert as saying that daytime consumption only generates 30% of the tourism revenue while night activities contribute the remaining 70%. Local experts said the boost to night-time industries is closely associated with tourism.

In early September, authorities in Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi’s largest tourist destination, presented a plan to allow entertainment and catering services to remain open 24 hours a day of the week rather than just on weekends in an attempt to stimulate the night economy. 

In fact, the night-time economy has been going on in the Hoan Kiem district for many years and developing under such forms as walking space, night market, food streets, convenience stores, cafes, bars, discos, karaoke, events, artistic and cultural programs, indoor entertainment, and outdoor entertainment activities at night.

However, economic activities at night are still considered poor, monotonous and unsustainable. At the same time, the district’s security and order is exposed to many potential risks and challenges.

The results of a pilot project on the development of the night economy in Hoan Kiem district showed that the average monthly revenue of the 65 pilot establishments in 2017 increased by 55% compared to 2016. The figure in 2018 was 30% compared to 2017 and in 2019, 10% compared to 2018. So far, night businesses can open until 2pm.

@ HanoiTimes